Saturday, October 2, 2010

What the Cryx?

I might have done something bad. I'm not entirely sure yet. What I do know is this:

Deathripper Bonejack
Defiler Bonejack with sign pointing to the Caspia (the Cygnarian Capital)

Warwitch Deneghra

Slayer Helljack

Cobblestone base

I know what you're thinking: "What have you done, you fool?!"


At first I would have agreed with you. Initially buying the Cryx Starter Box was on a whim. I've always eyed the Warmachine game by Privateer Press. People have always been talking about it and then a friend mentioned he had Cygnar models and then suddenly I was at the War Store ordering the Starter Box, Rulebook, and the Cryx rulebook.


Maybe I got a little carried away. Once everything came in the mail I sort of sat there wondering what I had done. Then, swallowing hard, I opened the box and looked at the models. 'Where's the spru?' I thought to myself. Each model was individually wrapped and ready to assemble with a minimum of flock to clean up. A large color fold-out page with the basic rules and the stats for all the other faction starters was included. Everything I needed to play the game was in the box. All I needed was an opponent.


The bases are unique, the inner circle is slightly lower than the edge so you have a natural barrier to tell where the edge of the base is and a spot to make a neat base without disrupting the base itself. Naturally I took the massive collection of Games Workshop spru and made cobblestone then added sand in between the blocks. For Deneghra I added a couple of straws for pipes and a rickety little causeway. Turned out pretty well but the pictures above are crap.


The models themselves are smaller than I originally thought they would be. Deneghra is the only 'human' sized thing and she is roughly the height of a Games Workshop figure but her pose is pretty dynamic. The bonejacks (the little ones) are merely heads, torsos, and legs so there isn't much in the way of assembly. The Slayer had shoulders and forearms to make more interesting poses. They are big but not big like GW models are big. However these 'jacks are weird fusions of magic and technology [read: thermapunk aka steampunk].


The game itself is a strange because it really breaks away from the way GW works. Primarily because your turn involves using one unit at a time rather than a movement, magic, shooting, close combat phase on each turn. I suppose I could go in-depth with the differences but I haven't even played a game yet.


Either way I love the models and I enjoyed spending today putting them together and their bases (which took the majority of the time). It was a breath of fresh air doing something different.

No comments: