Saturday, December 18, 2010

Bloodbowl demons and plants

Hello there sports fans! I've got several things I want to go over before I leave for San Diego for all next week:

1. The gift that keeps on giving: my nephew is being inducted into bloodbowl and he's looking at a chaos army. No bloodbowl chaos army is complete without a minotaur! Looking at the available models at Games Workshop I have to say I was a little disappointed. GW's minotaurs are big but the biggest of them is metal and I don't care for the way the hooves look. SO, to remedy that I looked at Privateer Press's Circle Oroboros Gnarlhorn Satyr. He's big, he's mean, he's got armor so it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to put him out on the field to start smashing face.

The model itself is actually quite tall, at least twice the height of a standard trooper. He comes on the 60mm wide circle base so I had to fish out one of my smaller ones for bloodbowl purposes. There was a minimum of flash so I didn't have to spend hours carving off metal bits (he is metal but Privateer Press is slowly changing to plastic).

I had a week (sort of) to assemble him, paint him so he would be ready before I left (tomorrow). My nephew likes the Philadelphia Eagles, evidently. So I painted him a green and white overlay. Not quite the teal but we'll see how it goes over. I made a helmet out of plasticard and green putty... which turned out o.k. I guess. Then I added the "3".

Paint-wise I tried layering here on the skin with a shadowy skin tone, then medium, then highlights then a brown ink. The ink probably should have been watered down a little but the dark skin gives a nice contrast to the white and green armor. I did the same thing with the horns and hooves.

The base was flocked with sand and I tried to make it look like a football field.

Let's hope he likes it!

In other news, remember how I was going to make a completely scratch built demons army?


Here's the cunnin' plan: I'm going to have to mold these two, then take the first casting and carve it down a little and re-size things then make my own spru of the individual pieces, re-mold it then I'll have something. This isn't ideal but neither are my sculpts right now. The baked clay pieces are just so incredibly brittle and making fine details are a hell of a lot harder than I thought they would be. Also you really can't cut up the originals after they are baked.

There is an oil based clay I could use that you CAN NOT bake but it is stronger and thus easier to work with and better for molding. Or I could just use green stuff. Oh well, work in progress.

Also, remember that big jaws thing. I found a home for it:
Feed me Seymour!

Merry Christmas, see you all later!

2 comments:

Brewmaster said...

Damn! That minotaur is going to earn lots of SPP's with some KO's and kills! Just look at the size of that thing! If you were also looking for another good figure to use I suggest the plastic Beastmen Minotaurs. They are a bit on the 'beefy' side (hehe) but they would work also.

J said...

Actually, much to my chagrin, I didn't communicate to well with my nephew's parents. Santa built him a bloodbowl chaos and lizardman (that is such a dumb name) teams. The chaos team was complete with a plastic minotaur... le sigh...

Although the GW minotaurs look more like what I wish the ogres looked like: muscle-bound titans, snarling and towering over the populace. The gluttony thing is a little off-setting personally. As for GW's minotaur, I don't like the hooves but that's all I can complain about- fabulous models otherwise.

I digress.

I'm saving the minotaur for his birthday which is late January so at least there's that :P.