Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Dark Eldar up for Advance Order

The new kits that we have seen over the past few weeks are now available for advance order. I have to say I have read over some of the leaked stat lines and rules for Dark Eldar and as a Tyranid player I am utterly screwed. The DE army is loaded with hundreds of poison guns that will make my big bigs nothing but red mist, their are rules that the entire army will get bonuses for each enemy unit it completely destroys (1 unit killed = Feel no Pain, 2 units killed = Furious Charge, 3 units killed = fearless).... If that wasn't enough some of the special rules for their CC units (Incubi, Mandrakes and in particular Wyches) are utterly devastating.

Genestealers have been dethroned as thee uber CC troop in the game now. With the abilities listed above pumping up the entire army it is easy for them to focus their firepower and amp up their power even before they jump into assault. Wyches are similar in stat lines but have some nasty abilities (+4 Inv in CC, multiple attacks, and ridiculous wargear options). Combat drugs are now army wide and one roll is made for all units with the ability. Incubi are basically a mix between a Howling Banshee and a Striking Scorpion with the benefits of both (Str 4 power weapons, high Init., high WS, 3+ armor save, weapons can grant extra attacks on 6's to wound).

I must say this army just looks awesome!!! The models and everything are well done to the extreme. Just look at the Mandrake models (like a WoW Demon Hunter/Illidan).

As much as I love the looks of these kits I think I will wait and not start another army with the DE. I will wait patiently and see when the next Eldar or Tau codex hits the streets.

4 comments:

J said...

Interesting,

I don't have the rulebook in front of me. Does poison allow armor saves? How does that function with 'We'll be back'?

Dark Eldar are the new black for destructive close combat. On the one hand that means they will probably clean out whatever they hit BUT all of their transports are AV10, all of their characters will be T3.

Also, being Eldar they will not be a lot of them. Those elite units are going to be expensive.

I think fighting the Dark Eldar will be a game of combat denial. They are faster, will hit first, and will probably win combat. The name of the game will be sacrifice.

Now I think the army wide rule applies to units. For example: unit D destroys unit A, unit D now gets feel no pain but not the whole army. Otherwise I could see that being really over powered. The entire army getting FNP after killing one unit? That would be crazy.

But we shall see. Dark Eldar are the flavor of the week and justly so they deserve it after the unjustifiably long wait for a new rulebook/models. Once everyone gets over the newness things will settle down.

You know I'm still surprised the Dark Eldar do not get a special rule concerning Eldar and likewise for the reverse.

And wait, there are Tau rumors? I thought those were just like the pathetic Necron wish-listing rumor threads.

Brewmaster said...

DE will be weak as paper but sharp as a razor. I agree that it will be more of a game of combat denial and other tactics to keep them from always being able to outmaneuver your forces.

The FnP and such army buffs for killing units appears to be army wide and not unit specific. It will only apply to units with a particular description in their special rules but should encompass pretty much all foot infantry.

That being said, the models are beautiful and I am excited that a different army rather than SM is getting the spotlight for once.

Yes poison allows armor saves but the fact that they will be able to wound my larger creatures on a 4+ is rather annoying.

J said...

So what about them Tau rumors, what?

Brewmaster said...

There are always Tau rumors :P

I am just hoping that GW will keep releasing other non-Imperial codices.

If we want to start rumors about Tau, one that I have heard that they might incorporate is make the Rail gun act like a solid line shot rather than just hit one unit. Basically you draw a line from the gun to the maximum range and any model underneath is hit.

That is all I know...