Monday, October 4, 2010

Path of the Warrior/Weekly update

So I haven't had much time to do any hobby related painting this week due to a busy work schedule as well as starting to get things organized for the future wedding. However I have done the following...

1) I have painted up around 20 LOTR figures including, Eomer, 3 Royal Guard, 6 Riders of Rohan, and 8-12 Gondorian Rangers. They look pretty good... pics to follow when I can.

2) I bought and finished reading "The Path of the Warrior," by Gav Thorpe. Let me tell you I have a greater respect for Eldar and still find their culture/backstory extremely fasinating. I probably will have to start an Eldar army as my second army now due to this book. If I do I forsee lots of Eldar on foot with tons of Aspect Warriors. B you really should give this book a read. I will get it to you ASAP.

My plans will be to continue painting some LOTR figures since I am in the groove and have a solid scheme that I can follow with them. My goal is to get the majority of my Rohan cavalry finished, as well as some more hero characters then move to the Rohan foot soldiers. If I can paint 2/3 of my LOTR colleciton I will be satisfied to move back to 40k to paint my Gargs, Termagaunts, and Swarmlord.

2 comments:

J said...

Pictures or it didn't happen.

When is the wedding scheduled?

Also, what could you compare "The Path of the Warrior" to? I'm gun-shy of the GW books after reading the first book of the Horus Heresey, "Horus Rising."

/rant
To be honest "Horus Rising" read like bad fan fiction. If you weren't hip to some of the Space Marine lore from the beginning it made no sense from the get-go. I didn't find the protagonist particularly endearing and the lavish sort of way the author (Dan Abnett) kept describing the SM's made the 'bad fan fiction' analogy even stronger.

I never felt that any of the characters were in any real danger. Nothing seemed capable of killing them except wildly uncontrollable warp magic. Combine the fact that the protagonists are intensely xenophibic and on a crusade of outright genocide I found it hard to care for any of the characters.

I mean, think about it, really. The great crusade was there to subjugate all other governments by force if they didn't submit and then kill all other life that was not human. In fact to kill human life that had become too different.
/rant

Brewmaster said...

1) Pictures to come this weekend.

2) Wedding... May 22, 2011

3) I read part of Horus Rising and didn't really like it either... Too much Space Marine BS. However Path of the Warrior was more interesting because the Eldar race are so alien and different. How their society functions, their beliefs, how they interact, it's all very intriguing.