Monday, October 11, 2010

Kung Fu Banner

You may have noticed the banner. I'm going to say, right now, that one of us needs a figure with an afro. Otherwise Bob Ross is going to show up everywhere. That and I had a stunning realization about a lack of representation in the wargaming world. Now, granted, you have green-skinned orcs and a plethora of different 'races' of beings but let's be honest: how many of those figures aren't white and of the women, how many are Sexpun T'come characters?

Right, so originally I just wanted to talk about the wacky banner but somehow talking about afro haircuts really made me realize the above. So let's focus:

  1. I like how the banner turned out, for a crappy photoshop job. If you don't like the quotes or have some other images you want to put in there let me know and I can edit a new one.
  2. If I'm really that concerned about a "all-white" wargaming world, what do I intend to do about it? Well... I could paint my high elves as a mix. That doesn't help the utter lack of female models but it could be a start.
  3. Also, Garrett, I adjusted your swarmlord's upper right hand its blade wouldn't cover Mr. Ross' face. Sorry.

2 comments:

Brewmaster said...

I like to think the arm just moved to avoid Bob Ross's hair our of a mixture of awe and fear.

J said...

To say the least. I was debating on adding Neo saying 'Whoa' and Chuck Norris but I think Chuck Norris was actually in 'Enter the Dragon' (hmm nope, he was not, my mistake).

I'd like to add other models (specifically finished ones) as we progress. I actually started sculpting my fiends.

The idea of the afro has always interested me. I think this may have started somewhere in high school. When I was a freshman the president of the senior class had this large curly afro.

Like the clean shaven head or a well groomed mustache the afro is something you have to work at as far as I know.

I didn't think there would be an entry but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afro

So, how would one incorporate a fabulous afro on a character? I mean really you just can't slap one on and call it a day without looking completely ridiculous.

Let's be serious in this consideration. The afro, as I know it, was more of a 60's sort of thing. That doesn't carry over into medieval fantasy or space opera particularly well. Or does it?

Now my Necrons probably couldn't pull the 'fro off. They look weird enough as it is without the hastle of epic hair.

My high elves though... They might work out. I'm thinking the character has to be rather important because this is going to get that model a lot of attention. So I'm not going to throw this opportunity away on a random model in a unit that it will just disappear into.

I have a feeling this idea is going to spiral out of control into a completely customized model.

That said: I'm thinking it would be a female character, afro, face angry and defiant, arm in the air holding up a sword or an axe. The other hand holding the reins of a mount... A horse? That seems not epic enough. I'm suddenly getting an image of that Heavy Metal picture of the girl riding a dragon holding a sword up but with the afro.

Hmm... maybe. Thoughts?