Monday, August 23, 2010

Demons at Adeptacon?

Several new things to post today:

1. Went camping out in the Shenandoahs, lots of fun. There I found a completely intact, albeit dead, horned beetle! Given that I wanted to make a more scarab looking figure for my Tomb Spyders I think molding this guy and then adding bits and pieces will do the trick.

2. Adeptacon: the tournament scene where GW doesn’t have a strangle-hold on what you can and can not do. For example: not all of my figures have to be GW’s. I can scratch build an entire army and I won’t be thrown out the front door but rather I’d be praised for doing so. The particular tournament my camping friends want me to go to is team-based. 4 people each with 1000 points play in teams of 2. You get your standard 2 troops and HQ but only 1 fast, heavy, and elite.

So your army list is a little limited but you’re playing with someone who is supposed to coordinate with you. That said this particular group would like to do a themed army, chaos. I started throwing things. After I calmed down they said, ‘What about demons?’

‘Say what?’

…Demons… What about demons? 1000 points of demons is, what, 25 models? I could have that assembled and painted by April. I bet I could even learn how to play it quasi-effectively.

So let’s take a look at the demons line: huh, all of the HQ is metal, all but the elites but the bloodcrushers are metal, all of the fast attack but seekers are metal, all of Nurgle is metal. And do you know what metal means? BLOODY EXPENSIVE, that’s what it means. OR how about a soul grinder? $62. About $400 for 25 models or 1000 points.

The new question is now: could I scratch build a demon army and have it painted and ready to go by April?

Consider what it would take: how about 10 pink horrors, 10 bloodletters, 3 nurgling bases, 5 fiends, a soul grinder, and a keeper of secrets.

I’ve got my soldering iron due to arrive today. Even if the models don’t look 100% awesome, they are the perfect testers because they are demons! All I would really need to do is buy the bases (I tried to make my own but that ended in tears).

Hmm… maybe this would work?

4 comments:

Brewmaster said...

Demons just got tons of new minature releases and would make for a quick army to put together especially at 1000 points. Conversions are also a possibility now with all the kits primarily plastic.

The only major pewter kit are the Plaguebearers which still have yet to get their place in the sun as a plastic kit. Also Screamers, Flesh Hounds, and Beasts of Nurgle.

As far as tactics go Demons are defintely a hit or miss army. Having an army where everything deep strikes in and shows up in pieces can be difficult. Also light guns tend to make quick work of demon armies (Bolters, lasguns, shuriken catapults, etc.).

The new Bloodcrushers are amazing as well as the new Demon Prince kit! Take a peek at those!

Who were you going to join up with? 1000 points of demons would cover the assault phase and short range anti tank, but they lack other ranged attacks. Tau and demons would be an interesting combo since Tau at 1000 points are quite nasty... however 1000 points of Tau on the table vs 2000 points of enemy forces isn't fun especially if they are Imp. Guard, Tyranids, or Mech anything.

Demons would go well with another deep strike army. I would consider either teaming up with a Drop Pod Marine army (Blood Angels would be perfect) or perhaps a Tyranid Pod/Outflank army. Doing this would minimize both you and your ally's casualties from possible shooting come turn 1. When turn 2 hits you can roll for reserves and hope to overwhelm your opponent or pick off key targets with what shows up. Tyranid's along with Eldar are the only 2 armies with bonuses to their reserve rolls and in large point games you can have everything on the table come turn 2 (Deathleaper plus Swarmlord/Hive Tyrant with Hive Commander equals +2 to reserve rolls.... Turn 2 rolls on a 2+ ... yes please!).

J said...

See the ONLY reason they've asked me to play demons is that they want a chaos themed army. So I would be playing with chaos marines.

At the end of the day I'll probably just bring my wonky robots to the table and gauss people's faces off.

Brewmaster said...

Are you guys doing a particular theme to that chaos army? Khorne, Tzeetch, Nurgle.. etc.???

J said...

A single diety army would be fun but right now it is just 'chaos.'