Monday, August 30, 2010

Saturday Game 2

The second game was a little more... weird given that I was fielding my proxied chaos army allied with a chaos marines army. The opponents were chaos marines and orks.

Set up was dawn of war (night fight first turn, something we promptly forgot about) with 2 objectives.

Turn 1
Orks and Chaos: Orks were of the horde variety. He rode into town with 3 units of 30 each unit had a nob with a power claw and boss pole. 3 Khans (think mini dreadnaughts), then a... I don't remember what they were called but the HQ choice with the custom force field that protects against shooting. OH! and he had about 10 lootas (orks with long range heavy weapons).

Chaos was set up like last time: possessed, and a bunch of rhinos full of different flavors of chaos marines.

The orks rushed forward and essentially screened the rhinos.

Demons and Chaos: I was allied with a khorne army. Given the ork horde he set up outside of his transports so he could rush them. The defiler was on the far left.

I had a soul grinder, pink horrors with bolt and the changeling, and plaguebearers as my intended first drop. I say intended because demons deploy all sorts of weird. I choose half of my army ahead of time then roll a dice. On a 3+ my intended selection deep strikes in. On a 1-2 the other half drops instead! I rolled a 4 so I got to deep strike my half. I chose to place the soul grinder near the lootas. There was a good chance he would be shot up by them BUT I would also get to drop my own shots first.

Learning point 1: when deep striking onto a friendly/enemy unit or UNPASSIBLE terrain you roll on the mishap table. On difficult terrain you count it as dangerous terrain and roll a D6, on a 1 you take damage. Otherwise you land normally!

I landed on difficult terrain and rolled on the mishap table of a 5 putting my grinder back in reserve. HAD that gone differently I would have landed right next to the lootas and had several shots at them. Oh well. The pink horrors dropped right where I wanted them near the far right objective and the plaguebearers next to them for protection duty (as pink horrors are poor in CC).

My khorne berserkers shot then rushed the orks, as did the defiler so all 3 units of 30 orks were tied up. The far left unit would tie up the defiler for the remainder of the battle. As nothing but the nob could wound it but he kept missing or never glancing enough. The defiler would kill 1-3 orks per turn and never mow through them enough to get through. The other units of berserkers killed off all of the other two units in one round. Suddenly the battlefield felt a lot less croweded!

Turn 2
Chaos and Orks: the khans rushed the berserkers, which was bad because the khans have better armor than the 'zerkers could penetrate! So it was a slow death for the 'zerkers as the khans tore them apart. Meanwhile the chaos rhinos rode up towards the two objectives.

Chaos and Demons: I rolled to deploy the rest of my army. Rolled 1's and 2's for everything and then finally got my soul grinder to drop right next to the khans (to help save the day). I took shots at the rhinos but to no avail. My pink horrors shot at the rhinos, also didn't do anything.

Turn 3
Chaos and Orks: the khans finish off the 'zerkers and look at my plaguebearers. The chaos rhinos rode up and shot a melta gun into my soul grinder and killed it. Once again if you're not playing a flavor of SM, why are you playing 40K?

Chaos and Demons: I roll to deploy and get my fiends to drop behind some cover near the defiler-ork horde showdown but safe from the lootas. My pink horrors fail to do anything to the khans.

Turn 4
Chaos and Orks: the lootas move forward... for some reason. The rhinos unload possessed near my pink horrors. The khans hit my plaguebearers and kill them completely. A rhino begins to ride over towards the fiends and lootas.

Chaos and Demons: my fiends rush the lootas and wipe them out. My pink horrors kill some possessed. My Keeper of Secrets drops in on the far right near the objective behind the possessed and my teammate's terminators drop in and open fire on the possessed.

Turn 5
Chaos and Orks: the rhino unloads and manages to destroy all my fiends through shooting. Ugh, they were left out in the open. The possessed and khans rush the terminators and terminator lord. The terminator lord destroys and entire unit of chaos marines because he has some sword that gives him infinity-billion attacks but if he rolls any ones the owning player has to body slam the table or something like that. The possessed and khans kill the rest.

Chaos and Demons: and look who decided to join the party? My unit of 15 bloodletters! Who drop just short of the unclaimed far right objective. I try and run them to it, I need a 3, what do I roll? A 1! My keeper rushes the possessed (with Tzeentch lord, he's always been in there) and kills off 3 possessed and two wounds on the lord. My pink horrors continue to sit on top of their cover and basically do nothing.

Learning point 2: the changeling has an ability that makes an enemy shooting unit take a leadership test. If they fail I get to choose their target! I could have used this several times during the game but never remembered to. This might have saved my soul grinder.

Learning point 3: Khorne 'zerkers have krak gernades which are effective against enemy armor. They actually could have attacked the khans.

Learning point 4: pink horros may be BS3 but they are also assault 3!

Tie

I had a whole unit of CC monsters show up on the last turn and do nothing. 250+ points out of a 1000 point army that ALMOST didn't make the game. Additionally, my team mate did have icons (teleporting 6" of an icon means you don't scatter) but they were not in an areas I actually wanted to be in. So did my bloodletters and pink horrors but the pinks weren't in the best location and the bloodletters didn't make the game.

I was warned that demons were weird but I sort of like the unpredictability of them. So I think I will continue on my quest to make a scratch-built army in time for adeptacon.

4 comments:

Brewmaster said...

Don't Khorne Bezerkers have Krag Gernades??? If they do they would be able to eat through those Killa Kans. Also if they charged they could have got some damage off since they are affected by Furious Charge. +1 Str would net them a Str of 5 and therefore a 6 would glance.... Never underestimate the ability to glance something to death.

J said...

Actually the Khans got the charge off as the 'zerkers were out in the open after wiping out all of the orks.

And yes they do have krak gernades. Something we completely forgot about and would have REALLY changed the game.

Brewmaster said...

One of the biggest problems that as a tyranid player I have come across is the amount of special weapon spam that leaves my elite/monstrous creatures as nothing but red mist. These weapons are primarily melta guns but also include plasma weapons, and all heavy weapons from lascannons to multi-meltas.

It amazes me how much Space Marine players can spam these weapons since that is the ONLY reason they take certain squad sizes. They do it to maximize their special weapon choices. This still eludes me and pisses me off at the same time.

For instance I played a game against a Blood Angel player and discovered that it is cheaper and easier for them to field multiple meltaguns/plasma guns/flamers than a Vanilla Space Marine player due to their ability to take Assault Squads as troops. The players run them without Jump Packs and throw them into a Rhino at 10 strong and then combat squad them when they disembark to maximze their firepower and target selection. This is just freakin' cheap.

I feel your pain when it comes to Marine guns or Imperial guns of any variety due to melta/flamer spam.

As a 'Nid player the only real solution I have found to stop them is to run more of a horde style list which negates their melta selection and gives them only a few targets that would maximize their firepower. I target flamers as my first priority to take out though...

It is for this reason I hate running a lot of Trygons/Mawlocs/Primes/Carnifexi/Warriors or anything that is sooo vulnerable to melta spam.

I miss the day when Tyranids actually had an invulnerable save or the ability to take one. Zoanthropes DON'T count GW! I demand an invulnerable save!!!

J said...

That is why one of our opponents ran an ork horde. When faced with 90 green bodies running at you do you shoot the khans or shoot the orks?

Unfortunately the orks were torn apart by 'zerker marines.

Part of the melta/plasma spam is due to the high volume of mechanized forces these days. Given the fact that everyone rides into town with rhinos, trukks, wave serpents I would probably spam anti-tank too. That and everyone plays MEQ armies so you HAVE to have something to take them out.