Wednesday, September 1, 2010

2010 Golden Demon Awards Announced

2010 Gold Demons and Slayer Award are out for the states. Unfortunately I'm not always sure how to visit other country's GW sites to see the same material (because honestly their stuff usually looks better) but I'll look into it.

The Slayer Award was given for a Tyrannid model. The winner, Todd Swanson, has received his 4th consecutive award! Bloody impressive and hats off to it being a tyrannid model!

The golden demon (with silver and bronze) looked pretty interesting too.

Let me break something down for all of you. Out of 12 categories (so that is 12 gold, 12 silver, and 12 bronze equaling 36 total awards) only 8 could have 40K models in them (24 awards). Of those 8 categories 4 are 40K specific the rest are the youngbloods, vingettes, etc. So now we have 4 categories with 12 awards total: 5 were space marine flavors, 3 ork, 3 imperial guard, and 1 tyrannid (also the slayer award).

That's about 41% of winners for 40K created space marine flavor entries. Remember the other 4 categories that weren't 40K specific? Diorama: kroot (actually I like this one the best), empire regiment (why this isn't in the regiment category I don't know), ghoul (from vampire counts, this one is also awesome). Large model/bust: ork, space marine, kroot (and no fantasy, saddness). Youngbloods: dark elf (woo!), orc (with a 'c' woo!), space marine. Open competition: lord of the rings fellowship (meh), space marine, not sure what the last one is but maybe dark elf (woo).

With the exception of the categories they aren't even allowed in (LotR and WHFB) the only category that didn't have a space marine winner was the diorama.

This a bit of a rant here but, really? What's the allure? Is it the fact that their lore is built up more than everyone elses? Is it...

Actually, you know what, we're (the royal we) aren't going to do that anymore. I declare: FROM THIS POINT ON I WILL NOT BITCH ABOUT SPACE MARINES!

I will not get sucked into that sort of negativitiy. Instead, I will make my favorite armies that much cooler by funneling all of my nerd rage into creatively making them better.

That said, while the Tyrannid IS a good looking model I really couldn't tell you why it won the slayer award. I actually think the WHFB Empire Knight is a better model (I mean he painted teeth and you can see his pupils!). Granted we can't see any of the other categories but looking at what you CAN see what do you think?

4 comments:

Brewmaster said...

Sooo funny story.

You know that Wood Elf Dragon I made. Well I entered it into a painting contest... (keep in mind 'painting' contest)

I didn't even place in the top 3. The contest didn't take into account conversion work which if that was the case my dragon would have easily taken top honors.

The reason I am a bit bitter about this is that the first place winner is the winner of the youngblood contest. (See link)

Discuss.....

J said...

So it is ONLY a painting contest? Is that why you get weird uninteresting models winning all the time?

Well, balls to that. Why the hell would I even bother making an interesting POSE if all they are going to look at is the painting job?

Brewmaster said...

It is pretty ridiculous and I agree whole hearted that there should be more attention spent on other models in the GW line rather than Space Marines. Yes their iconography and models are neat but please.... I honestly think there are sooo many more armies that have better looking models and are better than damn space marines.

Tyranids, Eldar, Necrons, Tau, rank up there for me in terms of looks.

I just get sick of seeing more than 75% space marines in any event/contest/tourney. It makes me soooo angry!!!

Guess I need to start beating more space marine players into the ground to convince them that they suck and switch to Tyranids!!!

Farseer Ra'uthan said...

NERD RAGE!!!11


But I know what you are saying :(