Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Dark Tower

"The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed."

Once upon a time I read the Lord of the Rings, the Chronicles of Narnia, Dune, the Ender series, Harry Potter. I sat on the edge of my seat watching the original Star Wars trilogy (episode 4-6 if you must), the three Indiana Jones movies, the Alien series, and so on.

What do they all have in common? They are epics, like Beowulf and the Odyssey, spread out over a long period of time and different settings following one hero on what can almost seem like a grail quest. Indiana Jones finds ancient relics, Eleanor Ripley finally gets to stay awake and is thus free to decide her fate, the one ring is destroyed, the end times come about, the emperor is killed, people ascend to power, people die, a journey comes to an end.

The Dark Tower was, is, Stephen King's epic. If you do not care for King's work, this might be the exception. Seven books long and the series was almost never finished due to the near fatal car accident King suffered around 1999.
It looks like NBC is going to try and take on the epic for movie and television.

Given that we all play an epic game I think this is important news. That and I want to somehow incorporate some of the imagery into my demon army.

2 comments:

Brewmaster said...

What kind of influences are you going to draw from this series? Are there specific imagery references to monsters/demons that appeal to you? If so what are they.

Brian and I managed to play a quick game over the last week end that was definately interesting. All I have to say is I HATE NIGHTSPINNERS! Damn things just kill sooo much crap so fast.

J said...

Imagery: well, for starters there is the Crimson King himself. Look at that guy (see crest picture).

Throughout the book there are references to the bad guys using the symbol of the Crimson King. I think I could theme some things around that. I'd like to have an evil force that panders to something other than the pre-set entities out there.