Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Friday Night's Alright for Fighting

Friday Night fights! Same players, different army to face. This time my opponent brought the Empire to bear on me. Not wanting to give up on my last list I stuck with it for this new fight.

Empire vs. High Elves 3k pts
Standard line-up-and-fight

Terrain: again, scattered across a line

Left to right:
  • Altar of Khaine
  • Bane Shrine or something
  • Sigmarite Shrine
  • Forest with a fence on my side
  • Surprise! Fezzick's Folding Fortress (heretofore to be named F3 or F cubed) in the middle of the Empire deployment zone (that item is actually pretty damn awesome)

Deployment:

Empire:

  • General with a block of great swords
  • 10 handguners one with a Hochland (the champion has a special rifle and is essentially a sniper and can take out characters in units)
  • Vanilla knights
  • Pistoleers screening the knights (these have been my BANE before)
  • A battery of cannon and mortar with an Engineer
  • F3 with a unit of 15 crossbows and a level 4 wizard with life magic
  • Block of greatswords with the BSB, warrior priest and a attached unit of vanilla Empire warriors
  • Unit of hand guns with a level 2 wizard
  • Battery of cannon and mortar with Engineer
  • Somewhere in there was another level 2 wizard but I don't recall really doing anything.

HE

  • BT
  • LSG
  • PG with GE hiding behind it
  • SG
  • WL

Turn 1

HE

Marched forward the PG, SG, WL, GE. Magic: able to get a little life magic to boost the SG and toughen up the PG. Shooting: BT open up and take out all of the pistoleers. Unfortunately this is all the BT succeed at for the rest of the game...

Empire

Knights march forward, followed by the block of greatswords with the general. Magic: nothing really happens as this time I remember the anti-magic banner on my SG and was able to dispel everything that came my way. Everything else stays put and shoots at me. Empire Engineers are now fantastic as they allow you to re-roll artillery dice. Cannons and mortars lay into my LSG and SG, killing a few.

Turn 2

HE

GE charges the battery next to F3, PG, SG, and WL march up again. Shooting: BT fail to hurt the knights the other misses entirely. Magic: buffed up the SG with regen from life magic, mindrazor to the PG to accept the inevitable charge... CC: eagle wiffs its attacks, the engineer actually wounds it but it stays, tying up the engineer.

Empire

...which never happens. Empire sits tight, knights and greatswords move forward. Magic: this is where things got bad for me: remember that life mage in the F3? He irresistible force casts 'Dwellers Bellow' on my PG. I lose over half the unit and the archmage inside it. They resist panicking but the damage has been done... Shooting: Hochlands wound the other wizard, artillery kills off some LSG and some SG. CC: the eagle wounds, but so does the engineer thus ending the flight of the lone eagle.

Turn 3

HE

SG charge the greatswords, WL flank charge the unit of handgunners on the right with the attached wizard. PG wheel about to face the knights, LSG move up to help the PG. Shooting: wiff wiff goes the two bolt throwers with perfect line ups to flank shot a 6x3 unit of knights passing by, this was actually the second time they missed. At this point I had had enough of BT's. Magic: given that my mage had been brought down by the dwellers my life mage couldn't get anything off to save his life. CC: WL destroy the handgunners and mage then roll into the battery on the right. SG actually do a decent job at hacking up the greatswords. Of course returning hits whittle me down but I hold.

Empire

Knights charge the PG, general's block moves up. Magic: buffs all over the place and death negatives on me. Shooting: not much happens. CC: WL take out the battery, charge into the unit attached to the greatswords. Knights take out the PG and overrun into the SG.

We both know the game is over at this point given that my LSG are too far away to help, the knights were raised with life magic back to full health, the remaining SG were debuffed to T2. We fought the round of combat and I lost because of combat resolution. SG fled, WL held, knights killed SG and wheeled about to face the WL.

What went right: initially my BT did well, my eagle charged the battery, my mages kept my units alive via life buffs. I never rolled well for my power dice I think the best I got WITH the banner of sorcery was 6.

What went wrong: BT and LSG didn't do a thing to the knights. Archmage and PG DESTROYED by a spell. Also, PG cause fear! At no point during this or the previous game did anyone take fear tests before CC!

Result: HE got rocked (again)

Despite that I felt a little better about the game. I was never sure about the WL but now I'm pretty certain I won't continue using them. GE aren't useful unless you take them in groups. I'm done with BT's and SG. Not having cavalry is a tremendous liability, I can't close on anything or get quick flank charges.

No comments: