Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting!

"Don't give us none of your aggravation
We had it with your discipline
Saturday night's alright for fighting
Get a little action in"
-Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting, Elton John
Aww yeah, round three brought the return of the Chaos warriors and a new HE list.
Chaos vs. Hight Elves 3k pts
Standard line-up-and-fight
Terrain: left to right
  • space
  • forest (a little to the left side of the board)
  • Haunted Mansion on the right side of the forest
  • space
  • closer to my edge:
  • marsh with the regen
  • fence

Deployment:

Chaos

  • Hellcannon
  • Khorne nights (like 12?) with the lord on a juggernaut (bitch)
  • Tzeentch warrior block (TW)
  • Marauder blocks (50 with great weapons) (MGW) with a death mage lvl 2
  • Khorne warrior block (KW) with a death mage lvl 2
  • dogs
  • HC

HE

  • 2 Great Eagles (GE1L, GE2L)
  • 9 Dragon Princes (DP) with the BSB (no special banner, just heavily armored)
  • Prince (AR of Silvered Steel 2+AS, Vambrances of Defense re-roll AS 4+WS) with great weapon riding on a Star Dragon (that's the biggest one we've got) [To which my opponent replied, seriously?]
  • 2x20 Phoenix Guard (PG1, PG2)
  • 2x27 Lothern Seaguard (LSG1, LSG2) with mages attached to them: life and high magic.
  • 2 Great Eagles (GE3R, GE4R)

Turn 1

HE
LSG1&2 move up to get in shooting range, PG1&2 and DP move up and to the right of the haunted mansion, Prince on a Dragon moves up behind the mansion. Eagles both fly up on the flanks. Magic: I get curse of arrow attraction on the KW (re-roll shooting vs. target) and take out a few.

Chaos

Knights and dogs marched forward to the left of the forest, TW with them. MGW and KW march forward. Magic: mages fail to do anything substantial. Shooting: left hellcannon misses, right hellcannon eats a few of its crew. Mages detach from the MGW and KW.

Turn 2

HE

GE2L on left charges dogs, GE1L on left charges Hellcannon. Prince on a Dragon flies over the Mansion but out of line of sight of the knights and the TW. Right GE3&4 fly up some more, PG move up, and DP move up waiting to try and pounce the Marauders. Magic: My life mage miscasts and kills a few LSG standing next to him. Shooting: take out a few more KW and my dragon, my STAR dragon opens fire on the TW and does nothing. CC: GE1L stalls the dogs, GE2L stalls the hellcannon (luckily its thunderstomp rolled a 1).

Chaos

Marauders charge PG2 but I didn't align them quite right and so PG1 was out of the picture for CC. Knights are stuck because the dogs are in the way so they turn around and try to go around the forest towards the TW and my dragon. KW charge my LSG but don't make it, getting a free round of arrows in the face (keep in mind I'm hitting on 4+ and wounding on 5+ and they get a 3+ AS). Magic: mages manage to get off some debuffs on my PG2, not good. Hellcannon on the right actually hits something but doesn't do too much damage. CC: Hellcannon on the left kills the GE1L, dogs actually beat the GE2L. PG2 lose combat and since they are -3 to leadership from the debuff, run. Luckily PG1 was right in front of the MGW that they ran into them first!

Turn 3

HE

GE3&4 charge the wizards. DP charge MGW. PG2 rally and come about to face the MGW. Prince on a dragon moves out of range of the knights and TW but still blocking their path. Magic: my life wizard miscasts again and killing himself and a few LSG (I never had him roll more than 3 dice at a time and he miscasted twice). I was able to get curse of arrow attraction on the KW again and shot more of them down (5 were left). CC: DP and PG destroy the Marauders and overrun them. Wizards are tied up with the GE.

Chaos

Dogs finally make their way around the forest. Knights and TW move up facing the Prince and PG1. KW finally charge my LSG2. Magic: nothing really happens. Shooting: the right Hellcannon eats the rest of its handlers (meaning it will soon rampage off) and the other fails to hit anything. CC: GE4R kills its wizard but GE3R gets killed by the wizard near the mansion. KW (all 5 of them) have about 50 billion attacks so they beat the tar out of my units of LSG2 who break, and barely don't get caught or get overrun.

Turn 4

HE

Ralley LSG2. GE3R (after overrunning the wizard) charges the dogs. PG1 and Prince charge TW. PG2 gets ready to fight the Hellcannon when it decides to flip out. Magic: I can't get anything off. Shooting: I kill off everything but 2 of the KW. CC: GE3R wins against the dogs, who run, the eagle overruns. Unit champion challenges Prince accepts and kills him. HOWEVER, because he is dead the dragon does not get to attack meaning I can't get overkill... TW beat up some PG and we actually draw combat.

Chaos

Knights charge prince. Hellcannon on right charges forward into PG2. KW charge LSG2, stand and shoot killing one (champion is left). Magic: the last mage runs forward and proceeds to self-destruct by miscasting but fails to wound anyone. Shooting: the Hellcannon to the left doesn't shoot as everything is too close together now.

CC: PG2 beat up on the Hellcannon, win but the HC is unbreakable.

Khorne Lord on Juggernaut (KLG) challenges my Prince. Initiative order: Prince does 2 wounds on the lord, PG deal wounds into the TW, KLG fails to hurt the prince, TW beat up on the PG, dragon kills the lord. But the real kicker is that I still lose to static combat resolution by a lot. So much so that I need a 3 to keep my PG or Prince from running.

I make both rolls at a 3.

Turn 5

HE

DP charge knights, GE charges TW, LSG1&2 charge hellcannon right. Magic: nothing. Shooting: nothing.

CC:

PG and LSG1&2 kill the hellcannon.

Initiative order: prince kills knights, DP kill knights, PG kill TW, TW kill PG, remaining knights kill DP, dragon kills the rest of the knights. TW lose and run off.

At this point my opponent has a hellcannon with 1 crew left.

Result: victory High Elves!

What went right: some very lucky rolls for leadership, GE's are fantastic for redirecting movement. Between the eagles blocking the dogs and the dragon stalling the deathstar unit of knights and TW I was able to take out the rest of the army before getting steamrolled by his monster unit.

What went wrong: GE have stomp! Miscasted twice killing several LSG. I had to make some very lucky rolls for leadership.

I should probably had my Prince charge the knights in the first place so my DP could have flank charged the TW causing them to lose their combat resolution. Then again they still would have been stubborn...

While the star dragon is intimidating it didn't do anything that a GE couldn't have. So for almost 4 turns I had a 600 point distraction which could have easily been an archmage and more PG instead of a dragon... Or a dragon mage dodging things and hitting people with spells.

I like how this list functioned. The PG can take some serious damage and with curse of arrow attraction the LSG could actually dish out a good amount of firepower. I really do want to include a dragon but I also want to include an archmage and possibly some more PG.

I could drop the life mage, take a archmage with the book with life magic, drop the star dragon for a sun dragon...

Hmm I'll have to post more on this later.

2 comments:

Brewmaster said...

It looks like you are starting to get a handle on your army a bit better now. I am curious what you think of GE's and the right number to use?

For my woodies I usually ran 0 due to the Rare slot restrictions but in 8th I haven't even touched them yet. I was thinking 2 would be good and run them straight for the opponent gunlines avoiding cover and such.

And yes.... Eagles DO get STOMP!!!

J said...

This is my first time using great eagles actually. I suddenly understand why people enjoy them so much.

Generally you need 2 because one of them is probably going to get taken out on the way over or you'll just need 2 to engage all of the template launching war machines or to run distractions.

I liked having 4 because I could do so many things with them. At 200 points for 4 solid warmachine/loose character hunters are hard to beat. The other thing I've been toying around with is a prince/noble with a magic bow on the back of an eagle.

Moble bolt thrower might be pretty awesome.