Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Thursday Night's Alright for Fighting

I've got 4 battle reports to post! Given that they happened a few days ago the details are a little shady. Additionally I might have forgotten exactly what each of us brought to the table.

Thursday:
Chaos Warriors vs. High Elves 3k
Standard line-up-and-fight

Chaos:
Tzeentch Lord on a Chaos Dragon
Block of ~ 36(?) Warriors (Khorne), full command
Block of ~ 36(?) Warriors (Tzeentch), full command
Block of 50 marauders with great weapons, full command
2x10 hounds
2 Hellcannons
(I have no idea what items my opponent took)

High Elves:
Prince, White Sword (KB, great weapon), AR of Caledor (2+AS), Guardian Phoenix (5+WS)
Arch Mage, lvl 4, Book of Hoeth (doubles = irresistible force with no miscast except 6's)
Noble BSB with Banner of World Dragon (immune to magic)
Mage lvl 2, Annulian Crystal (steals one power dice from opponent and gives you a dispel dice), Silver wand (+1 spell)
50 Spearguard with full command
19 Lothern Seaguard with full command
30 Phoenix Guard, full command, Banner of Sorcery (+D3 power dice)
19 White Lions, full command, Banner of Swiftness (+1 movement)
2 Bolt Throwers
1 Great Eagle

Set-up:
  • Left to right, basically everything was thrown into a line down the table, my opponent really doesn't care for terrain in the middle of the battlefield so his placements were off to the sides
  • Anvil of Vaul Hill
  • Idol of Gork/Mork
  • Haunted Mansion (awesome)
  • Marsh (that gives regen or something)

While the terrain selection is actually very interesting and can add new and unique things to the battlefield, it became really tedious to set the whole thing up. Having no scenery at all we just cut out pieces of paper. After my third battle I really appreciated the amount of scenery on the board and how it could disrupt a gun-line or allow you to avoid combat with nasty units later.

Deployment:

Left to right:

Chaos

  • Knights with hounds screening them
  • block of warriors
  • Lord on Dragon
  • Marauders
  • block of warriors
  • Hellcannons

High Elves

  • Bolt Throwers (BT)
  • Great Eagle (GE)
  • Lothern Seaguard (LSG)
  • Phoenix Guard (PG)
  • Spearguard (SG)
  • White Lions (WL)

Turn 1

Chaos

Marched everything forward, hellcannons peppered my SG and WL taking a few out. The Lord attempted to cast a few things but to no avail.

HE

BT opened into the dogs, causing them to flee. Eagle flew over to try and outflank something. PG, SG, and WL marched forward to the right of the mansion. Magic was uneventful despite the fact that I took the Book of Hoeth. LSG shot at something but didn't do much.

Turn 2

Chaos

Marched forward again, they probably could have charged me but the Marauders stayed put at the right of the mansion, knights came over the hill. Magic, Lord got of pandemonium, which was really bad. Not only could I roll well enough to cast, I couldn't roll well enough to dispel. Hellcannons shot a few things but didn't really do anything of note.

HE

Charges: SG into Marauders, WL into warriors, PG didn't really have enough room to get in there so I wheeled them about to try and face the oncoming knights. Magic: got off Mindrazor on the SG, then I tried to cast an offensive spell but rolling doubles of any sort causes a miscast because of Pandemonium. This was my first big mistake as I should have spent my time dispelling Pandemonium before anything else. I rolled my miscast table and got a 3, then I rolled a 1 to see if my wizard gets sucked into the Abyss (you needed to get a 4+ for it not to die). My wizard gets pulled into the Abyss AND a huge explosion kills off several of the PG who fail their ward saves causing a panic test which they (thankfully) passed. Shooting was uninteresting. Combat: my SG killed over half of the Marauders, the Marauders killed about 15 of my SG. I win, they flee and I chase them down... Leaving the unit completely exposed.

Turn 3

Chaos

Another block of warriors charge into my SG, knights charge my LSG, Lord charges my WL. Magic: the Lord could basically walk all over me now. He gets off Pandemonium again and then does something to my SG to make them weaker (I forgot, entirely, that I had the anti-magic banner). The hellcannons missed or ate a few of their handlers or something. Combat: LSG smashed by knights, SG smashed by warriors, the Lord challenges my Prince and my prince loses (but not before dealing 2 wounds to the lord) but static combat resolution causes the Lord to lose combat and then BARELY flee away from my WL.

HE

PG charge warriors, WL charge a different unit of warriors. BT fail to do anything useful. Magic: (cries). Combat: draws across the board. I played them out just to see what would happen but at this point I admitted defeat.

Result: HE got rocked.

What went right: ...

What went wrong: I didn't dispel Pandemonium, I forgot about my magic banners, I chose the wrong targets to fight, I had no cavalry.

No comments: